The Edward Hyde Show: 67 : Where every bloke knows my name

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Episode 67 : Where every bloke knows my name

A year ago, I took off on my first ever bike ride out of Madras. To nearby Mahabalipuram on a Splendor, then my only riding partner.

The feeling of having nothing to do, nothing to contribute when others regaled stories of their weekend jaunts, had begun to drag me down. I did not want to be at home on both days of the weekend. I claimed my friends were in places other than Madras, which left me a group of people whose interests and mine rarely overlapped. And overlapped just to make it worthwhile once in a while.

I digress.

On a sunny April morning in 2005, I took off on my bike. The ride was a change, but something still felt wrong. I sought company of like-minded people, but I was doing things alone. I lamented my inability to make friends, to find the right kind of people.

Two things happened then. One was the decision to get myself another bike just for travelling, but I hadn't decided which one. Another was a post by a friend on an anniversary ride of a biking club. And that settled things for me.

I began bike hunting in May. I bought a Thunderbird in June. I joined the MBMC two weeks later.

In July, I rode with the club to Belum in Andhra Pradesh. With the RTMC, we explored the underground caves in Belum.

We rode around Madras in August to celebrate 365 years of its existence.

We rode to Yercaud in October to celebrate another anniversary of RTMC's existence. I returned with a broken jaw.

I recovered and then RiderMania happened in January this year.

We rode to Pondicherry in March.

And then to Yelagiri Hills two weeks later. Just to have biryani at Vaniyambadi.

We are going to Coonoor at the end of this month. To celebrate another anniversary of MBMC's existence.

It is a year since I thought of making an effort to find the right people. To find people who know not just my name.

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
Our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows your name.

You wanna go where people know,
People are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows your name.

Today I can say I have found them.

Cheers!

Labels:

7 Comment(s):

  • At 4/09/2006 7:37 pm, Blogger Curious Servant said…

    You certainly have some unique features to your blog! It was fun stopping by.

     
  • At 4/09/2006 7:41 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Thank you, CS. I have heard of a Curious Onlooker, but Curious Servant is a first!

     
  • At 4/09/2006 11:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen! To your post not your comment ;-)


    -u

     
  • At 4/09/2006 11:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BTW i was remembering sometime back that we had a discussion when you were planning your Gingee fort trip.

    This as wrt the route to take for the trip and I remember mentioning that i was not keen on the Madhuranthakam highway as it has too much of HMV traffic.

    Then you trip over a dog!!!

     
  • At 4/09/2006 11:39 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Yes, that Gingee trip is still pending. And looks like it shall remain that way. :-)

     
  • At 4/10/2006 1:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pick a day soon after the first summer showers happen.
    It's a quaint little town, interesting enough to explore on your own or with minimal company.

    Drive safe :-)

     
  • At 7/31/2006 6:07 pm, Blogger Pallavi said…

    sure you found em... I hope you are enjoying your days here and going for many nice rides ... :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show