The Edward Hyde Show: 128 : Betwixt the cup and the lip

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Episode 128 : Betwixt the cup and the lip

It was early days at Specific Gravity. One such day at lunch time, I wandered into the lobby to take the elevator to the cafeteria.

(Which brings me to the question- why do "things" happen only at lunch time?)

That's when I noticed her.

A short, slim dusky female with straightened hair walked out of the elevator, and towards the glass door at the other end of the lobby.

I never got to know her name, till many months later when I spotted her at the building-level organisation meeting.

Actually, I noticed the shoes she was wearing. Black leather boots that easily covered her ankles..., and a thought struck me.

I need those type of boots for my bike rides. I should have gone for the Woodlands boots instead of Woodlands sport shoes!

Leaning over to my colleague, I discreetly gestured towards her and asked 'What's her name?'

'Divya' he said, and added 'but she's taken'.

I grinned. 'That's the default status I give to any attractive female.'

Many weeks passed. She had lunch with her colleagues at around the same time I did. But we never spoke.

Nor did I find any need to. I continued to live life like a hardened ascetic.

One evening, earlier this month. I was preparing my coffee when she entered the pantry. I was taking a spoonful of sugar out of the container when I looked up…

… To see her walk towards me and stop a foot away, waiting for me to finish taking the sugar.

I looked at the spoon in my right hand. Empty.

I looked at the coffee cup in my left hand. Half a spoonful of sugar in the cup.

I stared at the counter. Sugar granules were all over the place.

So much for living like a "hardened ascetic".

9 Comment(s):

  • At 12/18/2006 8:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahahahahh :D

    ~N.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 8:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahahahahh :D

    ~N.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 8:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oops! That was meant to be published only once.

    ~N.

     
  • At 12/19/2006 10:53 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Hahahahahaha! :-D

     
  • At 12/19/2006 3:35 pm, Blogger Deez said…

    asetics are also human after all... :)) he he he...

     
  • At 12/20/2006 3:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    every viswamitra has a menaka...

     
  • At 12/20/2006 4:44 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    My thoughts exactly.

     
  • At 12/21/2006 11:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had a similar experiance once - only, it was a billion times more embarassing. This v cute guy at work - who was also a gawker - was passing by and both of us were, unabashedly staring at each other and suddenly, my cellphone, which I was holding in my hand, fell. OMGGGGGG - I almost died that day. I too am usually, rathr shy when it comes to such things but well, it happens to the best of us! :D

     
  • At 12/22/2006 10:51 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    How can you claim yours is a billion times more embarrassing??

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show