Episode 242 : Anger management
'Going home?' he asked.
I gave a warm smile and nodded. As I reached the door, I couldn't help noticing that I did not respond with a retort that smacked of hidden scorn, derision or sarcasm. Something like 'Where else?' with a bored shrug to accompany it.
Because I seem to have metamorphosed into a person who can joke and laugh and retort sharply without realising it. Or be rude intentionally. And lash out in ways that make friends cringe.
I see my friends try to put it behind them and still be friends with me. I justify my hot-headed behaviour, saying that they brought me to it. But when tempers cool down, it takes while before I look at them in the face and smile.
It feels hollow and apologetic no matter how genuine it is.
'Sometimes I am afraid to talk to you, you lose it so rapidly'
It came from two people on two different days. It made me smile. It also made me sad.
I was surprised at how quickly I achieved what I wanted- an ability to lose my cool when needed, instead of tolerating everybody and everything.
It also made me ask whether it is worth it.



3 Comment(s):
At 2/11/2009 2:33 pm,
Anonymous said…
Anger is like steroids. It can give you an unimaginable rush of power. And you never realize just how quickly it goes from a power-inducer to a life-drainer. Lose it. Not yourself.
- An addict
At 2/11/2009 2:50 pm,
Anonymous said…
Heh.. even at age 55 you'll be trying to perfect anger management. :D
~N.
At 2/11/2009 6:43 pm,
Much ado about nothing.... said…
Angry young man!
Rebel without a cause/pause? :)
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show