Episode 311 : Last man standing
So I asked him if others from our class keep in touch with him. What with almost half of Madras being in the USA, I surmised that the others would.
'I am not in touch with anyone here. Once in a while someone drops in a mail, and that is about it. Life has moved on for others, and their priorities will take precedence', he wrote back.
I could only smile to myself. The rest having settled down in life, tending to their families and their responsibilties for the future, we found ourselves to be the last men standing. First out of choice, and later out of circumstance.
I recalled a time when I was on one of my year-end motorcycle trips. I had met up with a couple of folks from Madras who had joined their friends on a car trip of their own. Their route co-incided with mine that day and we explored the temple at Belur together. A few hours later, they left and I found myself at the hotel, nursing a cold and fever.
Which is never a good idea because it almost always leads me to contemplate about my life and its decisions. And that day it made me realise something.
It was a cycle I had always seen with the friends that I had made at school, college or work. A group of singletons hang out together till their better halves come in, and later, their offspring. Somewhere along the line, the now-smaller group of singletons form their own clique, while the former-singletons form theirs- discussions on buying houses, family troubles, schools are not everybody's cup of tea.
One by one the number of single people whittles down.
And the last man standing has to start all over again.
Today what works in my favour is the realisation that it pays to be patient.
For everything.
Labels: Single Edition



4 Comment(s):
At 9/01/2011 7:00 am,
Anonymous said…
i totally identify with that.. in the same boat!
- from some one who needs to MAIL you :)
At 9/03/2011 10:49 am,
Dibzzi said…
True, I relate to this with all my friends getting married in a cascade :(
At 10/29/2011 1:30 pm,
Priya said…
Lucky you!...if you are the last man standing only as far as singlehood is concerned :)....btw, nice blog...will take a while to read it completely though :)
At 10/29/2011 10:58 pm,
Hyde said…
:-) I know you know it is not a pleasant feeling to be the last man (or woman) standing.
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show