Episode 390 - Who is Edward Hyde?
"Tell me, who are you? Who is Edward Hyde?", she asked me.
"I am ..." I began to rattle off about my work, what I do, how I like doing it , and the problems I face when she interrupted me.
"No, I want to know who you are, not what you do"
I paused, trying to find the right words to describe myself. And found I did not have any.
"You are identifying yourself with what you do, now who you are" she said after a few moments of silence. "And I want to you to come out of it. Tell me 5 things that would describe you"
"I like to listen to music, I like to travel on a bike"
"About you, is there anything you can tell me about you, as a person?"
I continued to struggle.
"Edward, you have to find it within you, to find yourself as a person. What kind of a person you are, and not what you like to do or not do, or the kind of work you do. Edward Hyde as a person is more than that"
I am not sure if these were the therapist's exact words, and I think that day I understood what she wanted me to do. But after 3 years or so, I still struggle to say who I am.
Who am I, and why do I find it so hard to describe myself as a person?



0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show