The Edward Hyde Show: 33 : Hyde can cook

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Episode 33 : Hyde can cook

To tell the truth, most of the stuff was already made and put in the refrigerator for me to heat and eat.

But, that doesn't mean I cannot do something for myself.

Back in those days when I was in between jobs and Mama and Papa Hyde went to Kerala, they left me at the mercy of Edwina's cooking. But then, they also left her at the mercy of my cooked breakfasts.

With a little oil, I made an omelette for each of us. Since the second came out better than the first, I graciously offered to take the first. And with what was left of the oil, I toasted two slices of bread for her omelette. Edwina admitted it was the best bread-and-omelette she ever had. Sadly, I did not remember to start the tape recorder before she said that...

Anyway, today morning began with the same bread and omelette. Though I must admit, I did not goof up on my first attempt like I always did. Barring a little scraping that happened at the edges because the oil had not spread (I was in a hurry). And coffee was some decoction, a dash of chocolate sauce and two teaspoons of sugar in milk.

Heaven!

Now that Edwina is managing her own home, that left Phoebus the dog to handle my cooking. And I seem to be doing what Edwina used to do. Instead of cooking simple meals, she would cook something out of the ordinary. Like the time she tried to make chilli chicken and gravy to go with chappatis and ended making a very dry chicken dish.

So what kind of gourmet meals does Phoebus get? Instead of milk, bread, rice and an egg, she got milk, bread, an egg and vegetable upma for two nights in a row. And she loved it too.

Tomorrow is Friday. I have this adventurous urge to try something with the tomatoes lying in the refrigerator...

14 Comment(s):

  • At 12/23/2005 12:01 pm, Blogger SwB said…

    hey dude, Ask Kahini for her Tomato Toast recipe.

     
  • At 12/23/2005 1:01 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    SenSational, that is not my goof-up. Mine would be the ones where-
    1. I added extra salt to my omelette
    2. I had to eat a half-cooked omelette that tasted of raw egg.

    I start out slow and easy, so less embarassing goof-ups. :-D

     
  • At 12/23/2005 1:02 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Good idea SwB. I'll forget the toast and take the rest. :-))

    Actually, it is similar to the one that one of my uncles cooked up in a jiffy. I know he used tomatoes, but did he use capsicum as well?

     
  • At 12/23/2005 4:23 pm, Blogger manuscrypts said…

    rasam!!!

     
  • At 12/23/2005 4:45 pm, Blogger Prerona said…

    and you said it wouldnt go with your theme? i guess not, though ...

     
  • At 12/23/2005 4:54 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Manu, nothing beats curd and rice. I meant a tomato dish on the side.

     
  • At 12/23/2005 4:55 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Prerona, it will go with my theme or not. You are confusing me!

     
  • At 12/25/2005 12:46 am, Blogger La Figlia Che Piange said…

    Achha tell me, is "Edward Hyde" your nom e plume or is it your real name? Or is it your real name pretending to be your nom de plume? I'm a little confused about this.

     
  • At 12/25/2005 12:49 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Expect no help from me. :-))

     
  • At 12/26/2005 7:49 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Toast-and-omelette is South Indian? Coffee is South Indian??

     
  • At 12/26/2005 2:52 pm, Blogger Rapunzel said…

    awwwwwwwwwwww! can i give u some easy recipes??

     
  • At 12/26/2005 3:01 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Like what?

    I have a better idea. Cook for me! :-P

     
  • At 12/28/2005 6:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can I say I love you? Can I, can I, can I?

    "Nothing beats curd and rice." Sigh. You do know how to set my heart aflutter, child :-*.

     
  • At 12/28/2005 6:40 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Ha ha, after having done all that you can do with smileys, words are not that important. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show