Episode 75 : Goodnight, Madras!
It was in the year 1998 that I first announced my plan to leave Madras and do my post-graduation elsewhere.
It never happened.
I had two opportunities to move out of Madras and work. One in Bangalore, and one in Bombay. The first did not happen, and I did not accept the second.
After 8 long years, it is finally happening.
Frasier: We all knew we weren't going to stay together forever. I mean, that's not what life is about. Cry, if you must, but I assure you, when I pass through that Golden Gate I will be smiling!
Martin: [in utter misery, thinking Frasier is dying] Golden Gate?
Frasier: Yes! That's where I'm moving to! San Francisco!
Niles: What?
Frasier: My new job. I start next week. Now don't just sit there choking back the tears. Go ahead, let them out.
When I first started planning a move, and that was over two years ago, it was to move westwards. The only reason then was that X-girlfriend was there...
When this year began, I started looking at other places too. Hyderabad became the leading contender. And I thought "Hyde in Hyderabad" would suit me well...
Niles: We're happy for you.
Frasier: I'm happy for myself. And scared too. But it's a good scared. Sort of the way I felt when I came here from Boston.
It starts out with a feeling of excitement. Then the planning- what to take, what not to take and what to discard. My waste paper basket had to be emptied every other day!
And then an anxiety sets in, when people tell you horror stories of friends who moved out and did not know how to manage. While I drew strength from the times I learnt to do things on my own.
But then, only if I cut off the moorings can my ship sail.
Frasier: [to his co-passenger Anne] We had a big party that night. It was all very sweet.
Anne: I think it's great what you're doing.
Frasier: Well, I just know I'd always regret it if I didn't take the chance.
The MBMC is celebrating its fourth anniversary this weekend. And we will have a big party that night. After that, I will leave for my destination.
Pilot: [voice over] Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Chicago...
It ends with a twist.
Frasier: Wish me luck.
Goodnight, Madras!
Afterthought : This is probably the right time to end Season One. Season Two will start soon, but from a different location. Till then... thank you for reading.
Tossed salad and scrambled eggs
Oh my! Mercy!
And maybe I seem a bit confused,
Yeah maybe, but I got you pegged!
Ha ha ha ha!
But I don’t know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs.
They’re callin’ again.
Hyde has left the building!



20 Comment(s):
At 4/28/2006 5:53 pm,
Anonymous said…
All the best Hyde! Dont forget to leave a forwarding address... :)
At 4/28/2006 5:55 pm,
that girl in pink said…
i've moved all my life, never staying in a place for more than 3 years. no, i'm not a nomad, just an army brat.
it's a little difficult at first but it gets much better really soon. you'll meet people from madras, bond over memories and when you go there on vacation you'll want to never return to your new city.
then slowly you settle in, get familiarised with local haunts, make new friends, make your new life and soon hyderabad will be home. good luck with the move and your new job. you'll do great!
At 4/28/2006 6:20 pm,
SwB said…
Good luck to you brother.
Shine on, shine bright!
At 4/28/2006 9:20 pm,
Hyde said…
Shades, its the same address. When I said location, I meant the studio where the show is created.
Girl, I think you missed something in the post. :-)
Blues, thank you brother.
At 4/29/2006 10:48 am,
that girl in pink said…
what what? don't tell me this is all fictional, or have to do with your virtual life and not real life!
don't be so mysterious, what's going on here? what am i missing?
p.s and of course i take back all my compassionate words...and offer a ditzy expression of blankness in return.
At 4/29/2006 10:32 pm,
March Hare said…
hey....u really r moving??? best of luck to u then...and do start the 2nd season soon..it has been nice watching the first...
At 5/01/2006 10:33 pm,
Hyde said…
Girl, Fictional stuff can be found at Hyde's Tales, not here.
Everything is real. I was talking about the assumption you made regarding my destination.
Btw, Girl is a very generic name. I am going to choose either Pinkie or GirlyPink. What do you think? Of course, what you think may not influence my decision.
At 5/01/2006 10:35 pm,
Hyde said…
Sen, I just landed at this new place today at 9pm, after a long bike journey. Season Two will start once access to a computer becomes regular. I don't quite fancy typing out posts from a cyber cafe.
At 5/02/2006 1:19 am,
Prerona said…
I'm tired of moving
At 5/02/2006 9:15 am,
Hyde said…
You know, I would have loved a job like yours. Be on your own, travel to new places every year or so...
At 5/03/2006 1:13 pm,
Anonymous said…
There can be only one other place if it's not hyderabad.
Welcome! ( If i am right)
-i_f
At 5/03/2006 4:45 pm,
Vijayeta said…
Heyyy! Moving is fun. You meet new people, new friends etc etc. And starting trouble ends in a few days. All the best!
:)
At 5/03/2006 6:09 pm,
manuscrypts said…
uh oh!!!
At 5/03/2006 10:51 pm,
Hyde said…
I-F, you are absolutely right.
Vijayeta, you are absolutely right too. After landing here, I realised I missed the excitement of moving to a new place.
And Manu, you have a very good reason to get vewy vwey scawed. Ha!
At 5/05/2006 1:04 am,
Anonymous said…
All the very very best! :)
Go on scare poor unsuspecting denizens of the city :P
At 5/05/2006 2:59 am,
Anonymous said…
All the best. :)
At 5/05/2006 5:15 pm,
that girl in pink said…
well hello. been a while since you posted something new, eh?
ok, about the name. clearly i didn't think things through when i was christening myself.
pinkie is out of the question! (i might sound agressive, but in reality i'm begging you - please, not pinkie!) i'd be happy with 'pink' or even TGIP (short for that girl in pink/thank god it's pink).
so how's the new place treating u? like we say in bangalore, enjvaaying aah?
At 5/05/2006 6:16 pm,
Hyde said…
TGIP reminds me of TGIF, and that reminds me of another friend. So TGIP will not be used.
I'll think of something really very nice, totally un-Hyde like and let you know. Ok?
Oh btw, Bangalore has been nice to me so far.
At 5/05/2006 6:28 pm,
Hyde said…
Garfy, I feel so safe now. No more getting bugged on YM, or GMail Talk.
At 5/05/2006 6:30 pm,
Hyde said…
Hey pH. Know what, I've nicknamed my new company Specific Gravity, and pH is... well... what we use to represent it in equations. :-|
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show