Episode 130 : Day 1 of 365
Madras was to be my last pit stop before returning to Bangalore after my weeklong road trip.
I always wanted to be on the highway, under the moon and the stars when the clock goes past 11:59pm on a December 31st.
Because I did not hear from them, I had a feeling the guys here wouldn't meet in the evening. And a sinking feeling that I would be sitting at home and doing nothing, bringing back faint memories of the past.
At 9.30pm, I got a call. Meet at the beach by 11pm. It was 11.30pm when I got to Adayar, but it wasn't the beach that we went to. A brief halt at another friend's place and all of us took off in two cars.
Towards Mahabalipuram.
The road was full of bikers and cars. Most of the cars were returning to the city, while all bikers seem to be going away. The highway was dotted with lights.
It was me on that road
But you couldn't see me
Too many lights on
But nowhere near here
We pulled off the road and into a narrow lane. The doors were opened and music played. We talked, joked, drank and talked some more. The moon shone on us while the stars twinkled.
At close to 4am, we left towards the city and stopped at a teashop. And waited for the Midnight Patrol to arrive.
The Midnight Patrol is a bunch of bikers who ride up and down the East Coast Road late into the night for the thrill of night riding. Amidst backslapping and hugging, new year wishes were exchanged.
Then followed an hour of joking and merciless ragging as everyone was made fun of. It was six in the morning when I reached home. According to my plans, I should be leaving for Bangalore in an hour's time. Perhaps I could try sleeping for a few hours and leave at noon?
It was not to be and I am still in Madras. But I am happy.
I don't know what more to ask for
I was given just one wish
I wish for a happier 2007. It will take care of everything else.
Labels: The Motorcycling Diary



2 Comment(s):
At 1/01/2007 11:05 pm,
Anonymous said…
I wish the same for you, lil one. God bless.
At 1/02/2007 5:05 pm,
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year! It sure has started on the right note. :)
~N.
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show