Episode 218 : Edward Hyde's dictionary service
With a bottle of cola in hand, I entered the elevator and shut the door. I was about to press the button for my floor when a couple stood outside the elevator. So I opened the door and let them in.
'Which floor?' I asked them.
'Third' the man said. I pressed the button for the third floor and the elevator began ascending.
'You know, if you do not close the door properly the elevator will stop in between two floors' the man told his wife.
'It happened only once' the wife reminded him.
'Still, it can happen again' the man insisted. Hearing him say that, I felt an immediate kinship. Just because it happened once doesn't mean it will never happen again!
The elevator stopped at the third floor. Just as it should, and not in between two floors. The man opened the door.
'I am just apprehensive' the man said as the two turned to go away.
'You are not apprehensive, you are just scared' the woman said as I shut the door behind them.
As I pressed the button for my floor, I told myself 'The right word is paranoid'.



5 Comment(s):
At 8/13/2008 12:12 pm,
manuscrypts said…
henpecked !! and to preempt, not by experience :D
At 8/16/2008 7:05 pm,
Much ado about nothing.... said…
U opened the door for them, pressed the button and shut it behind them too? And the post makes no mention of a smile and/or thanks... maybe its not relevant but personally I find it very rude (and sometimes amusing!) when people do that, as if you were the liftman! :)
Good post btw...
At 8/18/2008 3:17 pm,
Hyde said…
I did not think it was relevant, so I did not mention it. But you asked, so-
1. They smiled when they got in.
2. I also smiled at them in return.
3. They did not say thanks when they left.
4. And yes, I find it rude too. :-)
At 8/18/2008 11:56 pm,
Anonymous said…
third umpire rulings prove most accurate :)
At 8/19/2008 11:26 pm,
Hyde said…
Heh heh.
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show