Episode 211 : Games people play
As a youngster playing cricket in the neighbourhood, the bigger you are, the better you are assumed to be.
With that logic in mind, teams are picked accordingly. The oldest players usually get in first, unless a younger or smaller player is known to do better than someone older him.
So you play. Boundaries are scored, dismissals are hotly contested and matches are won.
Sometimes, an elder opts to join. The uncle who lives a few houses down the street, or the bhaiyya who studies in college. You expect the bhaiyya to be a tough one to get out- he doesn't disappoint.
You expect the same from the uncle. The only problem is his paunch and lack of match fitness. But as a youngster, you don't think of that. He is older, bigger and stronger. And can rain sixes if you are not careful.
But he struggles to connect bat to ball or run a single without panting, or worse getting out! The respect you had for him comes crashing down. You don't show it and you probably do not know that he knows it too. You never understand why he cannot run at least as fast as you- surely he ran fast when he was younger!
I was disappointed with my schoolmates when we played a match one evening. Most of them panted as they ran after the ball. One pointed to his growing "beer belly" and proclaimed he is getting old. Another was astonished at my sprightly self.
'How come you don't have a paunch? Do you play or go to a gym these days?' one of them asked.
I shook my head and they all agreed I was fitter than any of them. That was around 6 years ago.
Last week, the team members unanimously decided we all should begin playing cricket in the evening. I was a half-hearted supporter- there is so much work to do!
But I joined them, and after two games I made a very important discovery. I thought I was mistaken yesterday, but today I am sure.
Even the human palm has muscles!
Labels: The Wonder Years



3 Comment(s):
At 6/20/2008 3:11 pm,
Pallavi said…
never was a fan of cricket but I guess if one plays any game.. it becomes interesting.. :)
At 6/25/2008 1:32 pm,
Hyde said…
More so when its a good excuse to skip work! :-D
At 7/12/2008 9:00 pm,
Anonymous said…
Wha..t??
~N.
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show