Episode 78 : A tale of two canines
"On my left, the champion, weighing at 50 pounds... PHOEBUS DALMATIA! Strengths are able to dive under the nearest sofa or chair in the blink of an eye and the ability to respond with howls and whines at every question posed in Malayalam!"
"And on my right, the challenger, weighing at 90 pounds... AUSTIN BASSETUS! Strengths are saliva spittle that fly like missiles every time he shakes his head vigorously and his belief in inertia!"
Introducing, Austin Bassetus, a Basset Hound that spent the last 9 years at Archer's home.
Time for a flashback.
I left home at 4am on April 29. Papa and Mama Hyde left for Kerala the previous evening. Which means Phoebus is left home all alone till Edwina comes to pick her later that day.
High-ranking officials say that Phoebus began howling within a few minutes of my departure. Possibly out of concern for her next meal. When Edwina came home to pick her up, Phoebus refused to get into an auto-rickshaw.
Oh no, I am the reigning queen of this place. I shall travel only in a taxi.
Phoebus enjoyed her stay at Edwina's place till Papa and Mama Hyde returned. So much that she even took to sleeping soundly on Edwina and Archer's soft bed... something we do not approve of!
Phoebus returned home on the 8th of this month, followed by Austin a few hours later. Now why does Austin have to shift places too, you might ask? Not because some folks decided on introducing a new breed with white, black and brown patches called Dalsetia...
Because all of Archer's family, Archer and Edwina were leaving for Bombay the next morning to attend a wedding.
Phoebus was friendly with all but Mama Hyde. With Mama Hyde she remained aloof as if to say Because of you I had to live with Edwina for a week!
When I called home, I enquired about the two canines. They are doing fine, both are sitting by the two sides of the chair, Mama Hyde said.
I expected the rest of the evening and the next 7 days to be smooth.
Three hours later, I got a text message on my phone.
'Do you have Archer's brother's mobile number?'
I knew it had to do with Austin. Don't tell me the old dog suddenly took affection to Phoebus! I shan't pretend that I am not protective about my dog...
'Austin does not want to sleep alone. He wants to be with us. And our madam doesn't approve of it.'
Mama Hyde is going to have a lot of trouble. If I were at home, I would have taken either Phoebus or Austin to my room, and all would have been well with the world.
I have not heard of the two canines after that. They must have kissed and made up...



0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show