The Edward Hyde Show: 134 : Hyde on the couch

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Episode 134 : Hyde on the couch

'So what are you doing on Monday?' she asked.

'What am I doing on Monday?' I asked in return and added, 'What is so special about Monday?'

'Well, you should know!' she replied cryptically.

Realisation then dawned upon me, along with a memory from the past when Mama Hyde had asked me a similar question.

'So what do you want for tomorrow?' she asked.

'What's special about tomorrow?' I asked.

She paused before replying, 'It is your birthday tomorrow'.

When I joined Specific Gravity, I removed my entry from the birthdays-list of all members in the team. I wanted a private day to myself, one where I did not have to smile every time someone wished me. The lesser greetings, the better I will feel. Not that I cannot pretend, but a hollow smile doesn't gel well with me.

And it looks like a private day might just happen today.

'Come on! You have come with us till Chitradurga. Nagpur is not "far" from here!! You did a long ride spanning 8 days and you say you cannot join us? Is this your riding spirit?' asked The Jehadi.

The heart was willing, but the mind wasn't. I had not applied for leave, and I did not have enough confidence in my bike to see me all the way to Nagpur. Nor was I equipped to ride. A thin corduroy jacket and a pair of riding shoes are not enough, and though I had money to buy stuff on the way, I wasn't sure I should go.

Yesterday morning they rode towards Hampi, and with a heavy heart I returned to Bangalore.

The guys from MBMC were (and still are!) riding to Nagpur and their route takes them through Hampi and Ajanta & Ellora caves. I wanted to ride with them to Nagpur for this year's edition of the RiderMania. But the long trip in the last week of December had sapped me and I expected some work in the third week of January.

That didn't happen and now I am in Bangalore while the party continues on the road. The last edition of RiderMania took my mind off the fact that I completed 28 years.

This year, I have to face it by myself. With no party to distract me from a brooding thought that yet another year passed by with nothing substantial to show for it.

I took stock of the 29th year last night. A shade better than last year, but not as good as the 27th when everything seemed to go right for me.

I think I make a rather good agony uncle even though I prefer to call myself an armchair psychologist. My patient list is predominantly female and once I put them back on their feet I never hear from them again.

At least for a very long time.

If only I could work some of that magic on me.

4 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show