The Edward Hyde Show: 181 : Moving woes

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Episode 181 : Moving woes

The team moved to the new campus, finally justifying my move to the eastern edge of the city. I moved because I did not want to ride more than 5-6 kms to work everyday. Riding over 20kms in Madras had taken its toll and I had no intention of repeating it ever.

The team was expected to move in the last week of May. I moved in June, but the team postponed its move to end-August. And that meant riding at least 12 kms to work everyday. Twice the distance, but it didn't seem so bad. I got used to it pretty quickly and found myself enjoying the ride to work.

As the end of August neared, I found myself getting despondent. Moving to the new campus meant giving up on the daily 10km ride, apart from saying goodbye to regular visits to nearby coffee shops.

The new campus is just 5 kms away, of which 3 kms have proper riding surfaces. A large percentage of the people in the new campus have opted for company transport which picks them up at an early 7 in the morning and begins its evening service at 5.15 in the evening.

At 6pm, the office is almost deserted barring those who have work till 7.30. Staying beyond 7 is almost unheard of these days. but I stay till 7.30 because it feels odd to leave at 5...

Sometimes I wonder if I goofed up big time by moving so close to the new campus. But where will I get a spacious apartment in the city for the kind of money I am paying now?