The Edward Hyde Show: 201 : Breaking the ice

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Episode 201 : Breaking the ice

Riders from four clubs in three cities- Bangalore, Madras and Hyderabad converged at the same location. An underground cave system in central Andhra Pradesh. The last time I went there on a ride, I was a greenhorn doing my first overnight ride. The same clubs had converged there over two years ago.

I am familiar with most of the guys who ride from Madras, barring two guys who came on two Yamaha bikes this time. I had very brief interactions with the guys from Hyderabad. Saturday evening, I was determined to break the ice.

And break the ice I did. I dined with the boys from Hyderabad. I befriended the two guys who came on Yamaha bikes. I had forgotten how to do it, but it was so easy once I began...

Today evening at the office, I was making coffee in the pantry. Two guys from two different teams were standing next to me waiting for their turn. One of them sits next to me. The other had contributed an article on power saving for the company newsletter. I had very brief interactions with them on separate occasions.

I was about to casually ask the second guy about the progress they intended to make in power saving. Then I stopped. The unwillingness surprised me and at the same time I wasn't too surprised. The unwillingness is often mutual. I cannot blame my colleagues for not being forthcoming when I am just as unwilling to break the ice.

What prevents me from making a casual conversation with a colleague who sits ten cubicles or even one cubicle away... when I can instantly chat up with a biker whose name I may not even know?

6 Comment(s):

  • At 3/04/2008 7:32 pm, Blogger manuscrypts said…

    context :)

     
  • At 3/05/2008 3:22 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    :-) May be, may not be.

     
  • At 3/06/2008 11:11 pm, Blogger Much ado about nothing.... said…

    Easier talking to a stranger who hasnt formed any opinion about you than a 'known' stranger who by observation has already 'judged' you?

     
  • At 3/07/2008 2:22 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    I think its the office environment. I'd probably not have this problem if it was an offsite party. I hardly talk to the same people I teamed up with in an office party two months ago. :-)

     
  • At 3/15/2008 8:39 pm, Blogger backpacker said…

    Hmm.. I sort of know what you mean, because I'm aloof and friendly in alternation. But I've realised it's about the vibes the other person sends out. These things are mutual. This is why, you're probably friends with some people at work, and not with the rest.

     
  • At 3/16/2008 8:19 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    To Context, vibes and the human tendency to complicate things! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show