Episode 343 : To Sir, with love
I remember entering your office, hoping to land a job. I remember how the interview went and I thought I had blown it while you thought I showed promise. I also remember my jaw dropping when you said you would return with my appointment letter.
But I want to talk about another day, another time.
From the beginning of this year, I have been leading the efforts of a 5-member team, and I find myself mentoring one person who seems unable to understand what I am saying.
How do you explain the importance of one's work to his team, and that it is important for him to be independent and learn to find answers by himself? How do you explain all this to someone who is 30?
I tried being stern, being patient and sometimes being rude. I chide myself for losing patience, but I find myself being helpless. He says he understands, but I don't see it translating into something positive from him. A few days later we are back at square one.
Thank you for giving a kick up my rear when I needed it. Thank you for trying to make me see the errors in my ways, and telling me that I should change. Thank you for talking sense into a 25-year old.
When I recall what you used to tell me, I am glad that you were patient with me when I did not take you seriously.
I am grateful to you for trying. I am going to try and be more patient.
Thank you.
But I want to talk about another day, another time.
From the beginning of this year, I have been leading the efforts of a 5-member team, and I find myself mentoring one person who seems unable to understand what I am saying.
How do you explain the importance of one's work to his team, and that it is important for him to be independent and learn to find answers by himself? How do you explain all this to someone who is 30?
I tried being stern, being patient and sometimes being rude. I chide myself for losing patience, but I find myself being helpless. He says he understands, but I don't see it translating into something positive from him. A few days later we are back at square one.
Thank you for giving a kick up my rear when I needed it. Thank you for trying to make me see the errors in my ways, and telling me that I should change. Thank you for talking sense into a 25-year old.
When I recall what you used to tell me, I am glad that you were patient with me when I did not take you seriously.
I am grateful to you for trying. I am going to try and be more patient.
Thank you.



1 Comment(s):
At 6/14/2013 9:52 pm,
Ricercar said…
i always remember someone who was teaching me saying that if you dont understand what I am saying, I am not being able to get through ... rather than you are failing to get the message ... somehow that always stayed with me
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show