The Edward Hyde Show: 362 : To the faithful departed

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Episode 362 : To the faithful departed

It is one thing to see a pet pass away in front of you. It is another thing when the pet passes away in your arms.

The folks at home were hopeful that Phoebus would get better. 'At least she is drinking water now' Mama Hyde said. But I did not want to take a chance and left for Madras.

She lifted her head when I entered the room, but did not recognise me till I came closer. She wasn't strong enough to even get up, so all she could to was try and wag her tail.

6 hours later, gathering all her strength, she stumbled out of the verandah to throw up and pee in the corner. She couldn't get up, so I gathered her up in my arms and walked back to the verandah.

'Hold her head', I told Anna when I felt her head droop. Anna wasn't able to do it, and I thought it was because she wasn't able to keep up with me in that narrow space.

As I lay her down on the floor, Anna spoke, 'She isn't breathing'.

And that's what I saw that she was looking into the distance, and her body unmoving.

Thirteen-year old Phoebus left. It was as if she waited for Edwina to return to Madras from her office trip, and for me to come from Bangalore, before she left.

We buried her at a spot not far away from the pit that she fell into when she first came home.

It was difficult to believe that I would never see those bluish-green eyes look at me from the darkness, hear that howl when she sees me after a long time, or hear her walk over dried leaves. Each time I looked out of the window, I expected her to look at me, her tail wagging nineteen to the dozen.

All I found was a silent verandah. No clinking of a dog chain, no vigorous shaking. Nothing.