The Edward Hyde Show: 36 : The Motorcycling Diary - Bangalore

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Episode 36 : The Motorcycling Diary - Bangalore

A fellow biker and I planned to leave on Friday, the 30th of December. While he would return on the 1st, I decided to return on the 2nd. However at the last minute, he opted out and I took to the roads alone.

I decided to start at 6 in the morning and expected to reach Bangalore by 1 in the afternoon. Instead, I started an hour later.

Time- 07:10; Odometer- 15618.5; Start

There were three ways to the highway- the bypass road after Tambaram, the road past the Nehru statue at Guindy, or Poonamallee high road. Though Tambaram was closer, I chose to take the connection from Guindy.

The start time was a bad choice. Heavy vehicle traffic had increased and some parts of the road were under repair. It took me almost an hour before I could reach the highway, considering that it was less than 30 kms away.

Time- 08:10; Odometer- 15649.6; Outside St. John's Residential School

I had filled the tank the previous night. While I struggled to keep the needle over 40kmph, I noticed petrol leaking from the cap of the tank. Of all the places! I tried to convince myself that it was only temporary and would ease out once I hit the highway. It only grew worse. As a stop-gap arrangement, I used a sheet of polyethene to plug the gap.

Time- 09:15; Odometer- 15702.8; Near Musaravakkam

It was time to water the plants on the highway. Much to my bewilderment, this became a practice every hour.

Time- 10:20; Odometer- 15761.6; Breakfast at Vellore

I tried to avoid stopping as much as possible. But there is only so much hunger one can bear. The highway ran through the town of Vellore and I spotted a small hotel called River View by the highway. The restaurant had what looked like a heavy wooden door, but swung easily. The interiors looked like any other restaurant, but the entrance of the kitchen looked like a ancestral house in interior Tamil Nadu. A sloping roof supported by wooden pillars, the only disappointing thing about it was that it was too shiny to look rustic.

My living arrangements at Bangalore were handled by cousin Noah. I wondered if he was aware that I would land at his place later in the day. An SMS confirmed that he did. His wife, Florence, would return at 7.30, but he would return home later in the night.

I had the option of collecting the house keys from Noah. But I can always kill time by roaming the place.

Time- 11:45; Odometer- 15804.4; Photo session

The only time I stopped to take photos. Actually, on my way to Bangalore I took just a single photo. I do not understand how I managed to take a lot more photos before!

Time- 12:25; Odometer- 15833.1; Khaderpet railway gate, Vaniyambadi

Construction work was going on at a lot of places between Madras and Vaniyambadi. The resulting diversions took a lot more time than I had bargained for. At Vaniyambadi, all vehicles had to travel through the town before they could take the highway again. Buses, trucks, cars and I on my bike moved slowly. A long queue of heavy vehicles stood in front of a shut railway gate. Taking a leaf out of my city-biking, I went to the front as much as possible.

Curious onlookers gawked at me. They were used to seeing trucks, buses and cabs. Not a leather jacket-clad biker on a Royal Enfield. One of them even suggested I remove the helmet, which I declined. You never know when a railway gate decides to open, signalling the waiting vehicles that the horn-blowing contest is officially open.

The gate opened 10 minutes later and we were on our way. Predictably, the lighter vehicles shot ahead first. A sign warned me of a dangerous curve ahead.

I see it, I told myself. The road seemed to climb and turn right sharply and disappear from the view. When I came close to it, I realised that the road split into two and the curve to the right was for oncoming vehicles!

Then on, the roads were smooth and long. Cars whizzed past me. Most notable among them was a black Hyundai Getz that effortlessly zoomed past me at a speed in excess of 100. I tried to chase in vain; I did not dare to cross 95.

Time- 13:25; Odometer- 15891.6; NH46 Toll Plaza, Krishnagiri

I wonder if the idea of skipping food as much as possible is a good idea when one is driving. The idea of having lunch at Hosur seemed tempting.

For no reason.

I can always have something at Bangalore. After watering the grass by the toll plaza and a large swig of water, I set off again.

When I broached the topic of riding to Bangalore, Edwina had given me an earful while Archer chose to offer sage advice. He warned me of heavy vehicle traffic on the highway, and of careless drivers, particularly buses and trucks. I was surprised to see disciplined truck drivers moving at an unhurried 20kmph while crazed car drivers squeezed through whatever gaps they could find! And nowhere did I see traffic, barring at Madras and at places where we had to take diversions.

Were the heavy vehicle drivers on a holiday?

By the time I reached Hosur, vehicles bearing KA registration were all over the place. Almost every vehicle on the road was driven properly, barring two cars that seemed to be in a big hurry to get to Bangalore. Turned out those two cars were TN registered. Perhaps the drivers learnt to drive in Madras?

Time- 14:50; Odometer- 15963.6; Hosur Road, Bangalore district.

I crossed the border without knowing it. All the while I expected to be checked by a posse of policemen when I noticed the lettering on milestones bore a strange curved script that looked like Telugu. My only hope lay in deciphering numbers that decreased by 1 with every kilometre I travelled.

The traffic never eased up and the going was slow. Besides, I also had to turn into a side lane to water some shrubs.

After that was done, a quick call to Sowparna Sowparni decided how I should spend the rest of the day. I had 4 hours before Noah or Florence got home.

To be continued...

Labels:

5 Comment(s):

  • At 1/06/2006 1:41 pm, Blogger Rapunzel said…

    u know u never quite managed to tell me how u spent the night!hahahahahaahahaha. bob says hello n he likes me better so he's changed his errrr...orientation:-D

     
  • At 1/06/2006 2:18 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Oh I slept cosily under my blanket. Am glad Bob is keeping you happy. He was never mine to begin with, so...

     
  • At 1/06/2006 3:00 pm, Blogger erebus said…

    Travelling alone on a bike is the best... the only way to travel... Tried it once myself... unfortunately didn't take two things into account... a)the heat... after coming back I was sure I would never have kids.... b) my inexperience with bikes... almost skidded off the road and died..

     
  • At 1/06/2006 7:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahahahahaahahahahahaha :-)). You spelt my name wrong. There is an 'i' at the end. With a dot :-P.

     
  • At 1/06/2006 8:22 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Erebus, never do a ride alone if you are inexperienced. Your first fall makes you an experienced rider! :-))

    Sowparni, it is a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show