The Edward Hyde Show: 81 : Feels like home

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Episode 81 : Feels like home

Place : My room, Madras.
Time : April 2006.

The room is dimly lit, the source of light coming from a table lamp whose beam is pointed towards the ceiling. I sit at the far end of the room, lean against a wooden cupboard and stare at the opposite end of the room. I am lost in memories, as the computer speakers play the crooning voice of Norah Jones, Diana Krall or Dido. I only need a person to waltz with.


Place : My room-sized home, Bangalore.
Time : May 2006.

The room is dimly lit, the source of light being two. One, from the door that is left slightly open. And another from the window, partially covered by a curtain, the light streaming through a perforated sheet that keeps outs flies. I sit at the far end of the room, leaning against a wall that separates the hall-and-bedroom and the kitchen area. I stare at the curtain that sways slowly and smile to myself as the new speaker and DVD system croon out songs of Diana Krall and Norah Jones. I only need a person to waltz with.

The place feels complete. It feels like home.

Labels:

10 Comment(s):

  • At 5/20/2006 10:23 pm, Blogger IdeaSmith said…

    Does it feel like home or just familiar?

     
  • At 5/21/2006 10:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :-). Will I do?

     
  • At 5/21/2006 8:02 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Ideasmith, it feels like home. Familiar yes, but it is home and in an odd way that I am not able to explain, it feels like my home. :-)

    Anonymous, since I know (now) who you are, you are welcome as long as you don't step on my toes. :-)

     
  • At 5/22/2006 1:03 pm, Blogger manuscrypts said…

    yes, buuut the one in chennai was part of a larger home i guess

     
  • At 5/22/2006 1:06 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Yes, the room in Madras is slightly larger than the one here. But on an average I used to spend 10-12 hours a day there and a couple of hours in other parts of the house. :-)

     
  • At 5/22/2006 4:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to know that you are settling in well! For some reasons I hated Blore...

     
  • At 5/22/2006 4:22 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Hate is a strong word I hate to use, pun intended. I like to believe I am above such emotions. ;-)

     
  • At 5/22/2006 10:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww, you getting all comfy there already? No rants to be expected? :(

    Dido? :) Shall I expect mails with attachments?

     
  • At 5/23/2006 9:41 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Do you remember that I am not in Madras anymore and that I do not have a computer at home?

     
  • At 5/24/2006 12:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Had left a comment to your previous post which has somehow disappeared..
    Recap of that-of all the cities I have travelled/stayed in the only place somehow has not grown on me is Bangalore etc:
    This inspite of me having immediately "settled comfortably" like in any other city. It been quite a few years but somehow doesnt feel like home though i go through all the notions of being in one.

    i_f

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show