Episode 183 : The midnight caller
It was a rare moment in my life when I badly wanted to hear one voice, and only that voice. What surprised me was that I never felt like that before.
Pride stopped me from calling. Or maybe it was self-preservation. If I call for no reason and at a time when sane people go to sleep, something must be wrong.
That's how parents think.
I tried to sleep but only tossed and turned. A few minutes later the phone rang. I looked at the phone and smiled to myself. Who would have thought...?
'You are awake? Aren't you going to sleep?' the voice asked.
'I am going to' I replied.
'How is your health? Is everything ok?'
The call made everything alright. But I didn't want to say that. Pride again, I suppose.
'Everything is alright.'
I never asked, but I am sure Papa Hyde called just to hear my voice.



6 Comment(s):
At 9/21/2007 1:43 am,
Deez said…
those r connections beyond comprehension :)
or parental instincts!
At 9/21/2007 10:48 am,
Anonymous said…
"The call made everything alright. But I didn't want to say that. Pride again, I suppose."
I wonder why we all shy away from putting our feelings in words to the people we love, and leave so many things unsaid..
~N.
At 9/21/2007 5:16 pm,
Hyde said…
More than shying away from putting feelings into words, I think what stops us is accepting that there are moments of weakness when we need some kind of support.
But didn't someone say that the best things remain unsaid? Or was it I who said that? ;-)
At 9/21/2007 7:08 pm,
Anonymous said…
True, that we don't want to appear vulnerable, sometimes not even in our own eyes.
The best things remain unsaid: But isn't that the greater tragedy, that the best are never expressed and the worst we can't seem to hold back..
As someone else once said: “The bitterest tear shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone”.
~N.
At 9/22/2007 6:10 pm,
Anonymous said…
This always works. Negating the fact that you need someone around. And then someone surprises you by being there. And funnily, it's usually parents.
At 9/26/2007 12:32 pm,
H said…
Smiling. 'tis a warm read on this cold rainy day.
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show