Episode 366 : Growing and outgrowing
‘It is your baby! How can you just abandon it like that?’, she had demanded. I had just finished a session where I explained the code I had written in the last 3 months to the team that I had moved out of just a week ago.
I grinned and made a typical, almost flippant, remark to shrug off the ‘responsibility’. ‘The two ladies here will take care of the baby’, I had said.
I had taken myself out of the team's daily meetings. I had identified who would take over various tasks that were mine. And I had identified who would own the various modules I had developed over the years.
‘It would be difficult for the team to cope with the load once you leave’, a colleague had remarked. When I was halfheartedly looking for opportunities elsewhere, I did wonder how the team would manage if I decided to leave...
‘This is an opportunity for them to put their hand up and take responsibility. They will not grow if I continue doing what I am doing. I will not grow too’, I replied. And when I said it, I strongly believed in it even though I had mixed emotions while doing so.
Because, I had started this team over years ago, hand-picking some its members, formulating their training, throwing them into the firing-line, and watching them grow. And, I was also moving out of my comfort zone, into something new.
Though dissimilar, the situation today reminded me of what happened almost 6 years ago, when I was forced to get out of my comfort zone. Then it was my manager’s choice, and this time it was mine. Ironically the manager of that time is my senior manager today and he was reluctant to let me go.
Today, as I sat at my desk, suddenly wondering whether I had done the right thing, I had to overcome feelings of pseudo-nostalgia and remind myself why I had made the move in the first place.
That I was finding myself in a comfort zone, knowing what needs to be done and how it needs to be done. That, at times, I had shielded some of the members by telling them what needs to be done instead of letting them find out on their own. That I did not have much to do now and had more free time than I was used to getting in the last 4 years.
And that nostalgia happens because it is natural to want to return to one’s comfort zone.
I grinned and made a typical, almost flippant, remark to shrug off the ‘responsibility’. ‘The two ladies here will take care of the baby’, I had said.
I had taken myself out of the team's daily meetings. I had identified who would take over various tasks that were mine. And I had identified who would own the various modules I had developed over the years.
‘It would be difficult for the team to cope with the load once you leave’, a colleague had remarked. When I was halfheartedly looking for opportunities elsewhere, I did wonder how the team would manage if I decided to leave...
‘This is an opportunity for them to put their hand up and take responsibility. They will not grow if I continue doing what I am doing. I will not grow too’, I replied. And when I said it, I strongly believed in it even though I had mixed emotions while doing so.
Because, I had started this team over years ago, hand-picking some its members, formulating their training, throwing them into the firing-line, and watching them grow. And, I was also moving out of my comfort zone, into something new.
Though dissimilar, the situation today reminded me of what happened almost 6 years ago, when I was forced to get out of my comfort zone. Then it was my manager’s choice, and this time it was mine. Ironically the manager of that time is my senior manager today and he was reluctant to let me go.
Today, as I sat at my desk, suddenly wondering whether I had done the right thing, I had to overcome feelings of pseudo-nostalgia and remind myself why I had made the move in the first place.
That I was finding myself in a comfort zone, knowing what needs to be done and how it needs to be done. That, at times, I had shielded some of the members by telling them what needs to be done instead of letting them find out on their own. That I did not have much to do now and had more free time than I was used to getting in the last 4 years.
And that nostalgia happens because it is natural to want to return to one’s comfort zone.



0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment
<< Back to the show