The Edward Hyde Show: 88 : "Who is it?"

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Episode 88 : "Who is it?"

As I got out of Java City last night, I realised I missed a call. The call was from a Madras-based mobile number that I could not place, though it appeared familiar.

I dialled the number.

'Hello'.

'Hey, how are you?' So he knows who I am while I am trying to find out who he is.

It used to be a game where old classmates call and you have to find out who they are. I tell them to go on and, within a few minutes, I identify them.

The problem here is that he expects me to know who he is, and I don't want to disappoint him!

'Am fine... you remembered after a long time?' A trick that works more often than not.

'Heh, heh' Just as I suspected, but I still have no clue who he is.

'I need a favour from you' he continued.

'Now we are talking!'

'One of my friends is interested in a 1998 Machismo and is quoted 30K. Do you know any mechanic who can take a look at it?' So this person knows I ride a Royal Enfield. Is he a friend from school or college (very unlikely though) or an ex-colleague?

'I don't know any mechanic here; I am yet to get my bike serviced. A friend (I was referring to the Jehadi) and I will take our bikes for service on Saturday; we can check the bike for your friend. Tell your friend to mail me.' I am furiously thinking out possible identities for this person.

'I already told him that. I tried calling you earlier, but there was no response.'

'I was with some friends here, having coffee. Now I am going to my office.'

'You work in the night-shift?' Is he an ex-colleague?

'No, no. The coffee-shop is close to my office and I am returning to get my stuff and go home.'

At that moment, I stood outside my office and spotted a white-coloured Enfield. I relayed the news.

'Tony's bike?' he asked. So he knows the MBMC guys.

'No, I haven't seen him after all that happened.' Now why should I tell him what happened when I am still not sure who he is.

'I met Tony at J's. He has gone for the Himalayan Odyssey ride... My bike is at J's now. I am getting it painted and chromed...' He must be an MBMC member, but who is he?!

'... I have also fitted a single-seat and got the height adjusted. What have you been doing?' he continued.

'The Jehadi and I went to Chikmagalur and Kemmanagundi last weekend. A 240km up and 300km+ down trip' I told him. And to think I referred to the Jehadi a few minutes earlier as "a friend"! And if I told him I was having coffee with the Bangalore bikers, he would have recognised them too!

And then it struck me who it was. Ramath, who had recently mailed the MBMC group about a Lightning 535, had also mentioned getting his bike fixed.

And then on it was smooth sailing. Five minutes of talking and, thankfully for me, he had no clue that I had no clue who he was till we neared the end of the call!

I am still good at the game.

6 Comment(s):

  • At 6/24/2006 12:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kemmanagundi - Uphill we went through Chicmagalur. The road was BAD. Guess it must have been worse on a bike or was it? Downhill was through another route that was much better.

    Saw loads of bikers when we had made that trip and another one to Belur Halebeid. Maybe one of these days will get my BIL's bike and maybe atleast do ECR. Don't know if my spine can take the stress though ;-)

    i_f

     
  • At 6/25/2006 4:53 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Linagadahalli to Birur was bad, really bad. Otherwise the roads are good. And your spine will not complain when you ride on the ECR. But if you have a bad seat, nothing can save your spine. :-)

     
  • At 6/28/2006 3:16 pm, Blogger Tinky Toinkers said…

    :D
    like grandma like grandson
    take one dairymilk free for being such a good shoot in the dark conversationalist.

     
  • At 6/28/2006 3:18 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    LOL! Who will give me the Dairy Milk? Pappu?

     
  • At 6/30/2006 5:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What if he is reading this blog post of yours at this very moment?
    : )

    -Elysia

     
  • At 6/30/2006 5:44 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    He doesn't know I blog. Here or anywhere else. :-) So I am safe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show