The Edward Hyde Show: 139 : In pursuit of happyness

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Episode 139 : In pursuit of happyness

A few of my biker friends and I watched The Pursuit Of Happyness last Saturday.

As the movie played, I thought to myself that man gives his truly best shot when he has his back towards the wall. And a movie began playing in my head...

It was the worst of times. From the middle of 2001 till the end of 2002.

Well-wishers advised I stop looking at programming positions in technology companies. And join a BPO. Unwillingly, I gave it a shot. BPO companies were hesitant in taking a programmer in and I wasn't convinced that was what I wanted to do.

I did not stop studying for my post-graduation either. Or stop applying for programming positions, even entry-level ones, at technology companies.

That part of my life... others called it "being stupid".

The Hyde seniors let me be, and took pains to explain to doubting Thomases why I was hell-bent on doing what I wanted, even if I appeared to be on a path to self-destruction.

I later realised that if my parents did not back me, life would have been a lot, lot tougher.

Today, I look back at the past and smile at myself. Proud that I did not give in.

It's only been four days since I watched the movie, and I find myself unwilling to allow negativity to overwhelm me. Sure, there are times when I argue my views on being "realistic", but it is better than sinking into a morass of despair.

And today, I believe I can do it again.

It appears that my frequent riding trips are putting some people ill at ease.

'I am tired of your happiness, I want to see you hitched!' she said.

'Why are you so jealous of my happiness?' I retorted.

Chris Gardner: And it was at that time that I thought about Thomas Jefferson writing that Declaration of Independence. Him saying that we have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And I thought about how he knew to put the "pursuit" in there, like no one can actually have happiness. We can only pursue it.

I am not truly happy, but I think I am content at the moment. And I like to think I will get there.

This part of my life... I call this one "in pursuit of happyness".

8 Comment(s):

  • At 2/07/2007 6:29 pm, Blogger manuscrypts said…

    ah, but there's a second question? about getting hitched and happiness :)

     
  • At 2/07/2007 8:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude, your blog rocks.

    You are living my calling.

    And yeah, happiness can be an elusive b****. Guess that's why you have to make the most of every moment she decides to grant you her company...

    - Dobereinerr

     
  • At 2/08/2007 12:17 am, Blogger Deez said…

    And she said "happiness is not everything in life... u shd try the other too."

    ;P

    cheers.

     
  • At 2/08/2007 9:57 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Manu, perhaps you remember an episode where a retired Wing Commander asked me, 'Are you happy? Or are you married?'... :-))

     
  • At 2/08/2007 9:58 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Thank you Dobereinerr. :-)

    Deez, I've tried everything else. Let me try happyness for a change. ;-)

     
  • At 2/08/2007 10:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I watched the movie last week. Loved it. His struggles put mine to shame:)

    Btw, what use are the stat counters if they don't do your sleuth work?:)

    -you know who

     
  • At 2/09/2007 10:06 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    YKW, the statcounter didn't have your entry at all. Did you use an anonymising service??

     
  • At 2/10/2007 9:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Clueless? No, no anon device, but a secure network...may be thats why.

    -YKW

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show