The Edward Hyde Show: 206 : Times, they are a-changin

"Sometimes I get to feelin’, I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young,
The sun was always shinin’ - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don’t know,
The rest of my life’s been just a show."

--Freddie Mercury, These are the days of our lives.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Episode 206 : Times, they are a-changin

I remember when I first heard that the Safire theatre complex was going to shut down.

I was sad. I had never seen a movie in that complex, but I heard how Papa Hyde used to buy tickets and watch movies back-to-back in his younger days. In the 70s.

And I remember how I used to gaze at it when I visited Madras during my summer holidays.

A few weeks ago, I heard about the imminent closing of Woodlands Drive-in.

I was taken aback. It was the place where I used to hang out with guys from the motorcycling club.

The last time I went there, it was in August 2006. After that I only went past it, but I could imagine the serenity inside. Peace from the maddening traffic just a few hundred metres away.

It is a sign of changing times when old buildings are razed down to the ground to make place for new, swanky glass buildings.

It is a sign of changing times when roads become one-way only, reminding me of how the city is slowly going the Bangalore way.

What else is the city going to lose?

9 Comment(s):

  • At 4/28/2008 2:01 am, Blogger kAy said…

    would have been interesting to come to banglore before the face of the city changes too much.

    perhaps next time.

     
  • At 4/28/2008 12:45 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    It's changing faster than you can imagine. :-)

     
  • At 4/28/2008 9:49 pm, Blogger Much ado about nothing.... said…

    Funny how, more often than not we realize the loss only after we have lost.

     
  • At 4/28/2008 10:21 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    The ones who are affected by such decisions are not the ones who make them. Such are the state of affairs in this land.

     
  • At 4/29/2008 2:46 am, Blogger kAy said…

    lifemeansdrama@gmail.com

     
  • At 4/29/2008 7:45 pm, Blogger H said…

    Yes. going back to Calcutta after 19 years was as shocking. Very seriously.

     
  • At 4/30/2008 10:17 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    I went to Calcutta after 22 years. The house, the school and the doctor's clinic- they were still there. Only thing was the doctor's clinic had turned into a pots-and-pans store.

     
  • At 4/30/2008 12:37 pm, Blogger H said…

    You went to school in Cal too? Nice. :-) Which school were you in, if I'm not prying too much?

     
  • At 4/30/2008 1:11 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Svarna, till the middle of first standard.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to the show